While there is nothing you can do be be un-glutened, there are a few tricks I've picked up to reduce the amount of suffering afterwards.
- Don't panic. Easy to say, hard not to do. Stressing about the fact that it happened will not help. Identify why it happened and you will have learned a lesson.
- Hydrate. Lots of water. Flush that system out. Drink 10-12 cups a day following.
- Only healthy gluten free foods to follow. Avoid any foods that will cause any other distress to you, for me that means dairy. If anything else bothers you don't have it while you are symptomatic.
- Eat or drink ginger. Ginger tea or gingerale will help ease your stomach. Also if you can add ginger to your meals.
- Peppermint tea. I list this just because I always want it when I don't feel good. Also I get acid reflux after being glutened, so it helps soothe my throat.
- OTC remedies. Tylenol for headaches, or Advil which is an anti-inflammatory to help headaches and joint pain. Cortisone cream for rashes. Tums for stomach upset. Immodium or Pepto for stomach upset. I've had a few people tell me to take charcoal pills to help grab the gluten and get it out but I haven't tried it yet. Typically I avoid medicines unless absolutely needed - being glutened is one of those times I will go to town.
- Exercise. It will help you have more energy and is always just good for you.
- Sleep and relax. Let your body heal.
Depending on the amount I have had and how much I follow all my own advise I generally will be symptomatic for at least 5 days and up to two weeks. I know some gluten bigots who are okay after 3 days. No matter how long, just stay calm and do what you need to to fell better.
Do you have any post-gluten tricks I didn't list above? Leave them in the comments.