Whenever the weather is cold, or freezing like it has been in New York lately, I always want hot desserts. One on particularly cold day, I happened to have a few apples kicking around which needed to be consumed so I decided to try making a GF apple crumble.
For the apple portion I used:
- 4 apples, skinned and cut up into pieces.
- A good dusting of cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 tbsp of honey
I simply mixed all those items together in a la creuset pan, then added about 1/4 cup of water to help the apples cook. Then in a small bowl I mixed together the ingredients for the toppings:
- 1 packet of Glutenfreeda original quick oatmeal (I didn't have GF oats, and I must say it worked well in my pinch.
- 1/4 cup raw organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a bit of nutmeg and salt
I added the topping to the apples as evenly as I could and baked for about 50 minutes at 375F. The result was delicious! I served it with a bit of whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon all over everything - though that is optional if you don't enjoy cinnamon as much as I. The leftovers also reheated nicely.